Monday, September 10, 2018

September 10, 2018 - Goodbye Teofilo

Ok I honestly don't remember what happened this week, but I will try. Today is transfers, so we are all a little stressed out. (Or a LOT). There are going to be 4 sisters in this area (at least temporarily) and we are trying to figure out how to rearrange the furniture and get both the bathrooms in working order, and I am packing my bags! I will be going to Linhares, which is still pretty far away from the mission home, but at least a little closer to here, and my new companion will be Sister Parente, who is super awesome and sweet and adorable, and I am being called as Sister Training Leader as well. To be completely honest, I'm not super thrilled about the calling, and much less about being transfered (I love TeĆ³filo, and we have so so so many plans!!! AND the sister I trained, Sister Rodrigues, is coming in my place! so jealous!!), but I'm trying to calm down because if not I think I'm going to be sick again. (Oh yeah I got sick again this week. But I think it must be something I'm eating. I'm trying to cut down on milk and also beans because I think they upset my stomach). I was sitting at the table writing a letter while my companion made lunch and the song "I'll go where you want me to go" came on and I was like "wow, this one's for me" so I made her play it twice haha. And honestly, the change will be good, and I know it will be a great learning experience :)
I'm sending journal pages about most of the week, which is good cause I'm running a little late, but here is a summary:
This week was difficult in that almost none of our appointments worked out. We went from one cancelled appointment to another, and then we would be like "okaaay. Where does the Lord want us to work today?" and we would take turns deciding where to turn/walk and which houses to knock on. We had some pretty cool experiences that way (and also some 4th floor, last door moments), some of which I wrote about in my journal, but we still don't have anyone progressing :/ We also had lots of help from the Lord in finishing our contacting goals. Friday was a national holiday, which always makes it a little difficult here in Brazil (before, during, and after the holiday), but we would always pray as we started to head home that the Lord would put just 4 or just  7 more people in our path--and He did! Every. Single. Time. Not more, and not less. Just proves how important goals are! Especially "couselling with the Lord" to help you set and also accomplish them.
I wrote more about her in my journal, but Tais was a pretty big miracle this week. We only managed to teach her once (and she didn't come to the activity or to church) but that one lesson was just amazing. I've never had anyone understand the restoration of the gospel so well! she was absolutely floored that we have a living prophet! Kept asking when was the next time he's coming to brasil, and if she could meet him hahahah. Hope the sisters get to keep teaching her!
Leide Laura was also a miracle. We taught this woman last sunday who didn't seem to understand much of our message, but she liked us, and told us we should go visit her daughter--which we did, even though we had to climb up and over a mountain to get there haha. She's only 15 and living with her boyfriend, but she recognizes that she's made a lot of wrong choices in her life, and she cried when we testified to her that God is not far away, and that the Book of Mormon can bring her closer to God than ever.
Like I already mentioned, Friday was a holiday. Independence Day, to be exact. They definitely  aren't as hyped up as we are for independence day  (for once we beat them on a holiday hahhaha) but the schools all do a drum march/parade thing (I mean it's a parade, just a lot more military than we usually think of. Definitely no throwing candy hahahah) so we left early in the morning to be able to see it.
Last two things: we helped two families make cookies this week--the first time they honestly weren't so great, but the second time they were quite literally the best cookies either me or my comp have ever eaten on the mission!
And then finally, my comp and I did a Book of Mormon debate with the relief society, which was super cool. Something I really liked about this branch is the close relationship we have with the RS president here. This is the first area on my mission that I really felt like I was a member of the RS and not just a visitor. I'm going to miss her and her family and all of the other women so much!
Ok I gotta go, but next week I'll get you all filled in on my new comp, area, and calling.
Love you all!!
-Sister Kirkham

No comments:

Post a Comment