Monday, March 18, 2019

January 21, 2019 - Jardim da Penha...There's a Wal-mart Here!

Ok so as much as I didn't want to be here, in the big city, in this particular area, nor living with another companionship, I am loving my new area! It's a rather well-to-do area, with LOTS of apartment buildings, and praia!! Not that we can go there haha. But anyways, the people here are really well-educated, which generally means I can use all the scriptural knowledge and scientific analogies that I want :P Also, my district includes a set of american elders (including my district leader and his greenie), the secretaries (who, although natives, are all required to speak a little bit of English--one of them told us that he "gets emotional when we talk about food" when we told him we were going to bring muffins tomorrow) the AP's (one of which is Elder Boswell, and the other is an ex-secretary that should technically go home at the same time as me but is going early) and then us four, so it's a pretty hilarious group. I think at least our phone conversations are about 40% english.
Having an american companion is really interesting. Because of the high education level, just about everyone here speaks english, so they always have to include something in english (actually one time it was German) in every conversation. And sometimes they thing we're lost hahahha. But anyways, my comp is super sweet, super honest and open, and also the type of person that never forgets to apologize or pay a compliment. We are teaching TONS and also running every morning! Today we ran to walmart (which was closed) then to a pretty park (I had to run up a very steep long mountain -_-) and then to McDonalds, and then back to walmart (IN CASE YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND, THERE'S A WALMART HERE) and then we walked home, and all before 9:30am!
I sent along my journal pages with all the details, but we are teaching some awesome people, two of which came to church already! I think I'm gonna be happy here :)
We have 5 sets of sisters to take care of, so we're going to get started on splits this week, but we don't have a date for the zone conference (they haven't even planned it yet) so that could make things difficult.
But anways, I think that's good for now! Have an awesome week!
Até mais,
Sister Kirkham

No comments:

Post a Comment