Friday, August 31, 2018

August 27, 2018 - Closed Doors & Cancelled Appointments with Lots of Miracles/Laughing/Learning in Between

This week was a hard week and also an awesome one at the same time. Work-wise, it really wasn't all that productive. Lots of walking in the hot sun half passing out (also, I got sick--more on that later), lots of closed doors and cancelled appointments, but also lots of miracles and learning and laughing in between.
So last monday, after we emailed, we set to work on our epic egg experiment. We spent all last week trying it for this one family we were teaching, but we couldn't get it right, and then we had this lesson Monday night and we were like "no, this has to be it. We have to figure it out!!" and we did! But it involved several ruined eggs, some expensive grape juice (we just wanted the bottle) and some singed eyebrows and lashes (my companions', not mine hahaaha). But anyways, it was the thing where you use a match to make the boiled egg go into the bottle, and you use it to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The girls we're teaching loved it!
The most I remember on Tuesday is that we ate lots and lots and lots of food. Like to the point that someone on the street offered us a popsicle (it was like 100 degrees) and we couldn't even accept that! And then that turned out not to be the best thing, because after complaining the whole day, my comp went to bed and woke up fine, and I woke up very very stomach sick. I got a priesthood blessing, which miraculously (yes i know that's the point haha) let me work the whole day, but I ate just about nothing for Almoço, which made our mission fast very long and painful on Thursday. But I made it!
Highlight of the week would have to be zone conference, as always. I was still a little sick (I got in huge trouble with President for not telling Sister Mazzagardi I was sick--but then she was sick too! So sick that she didn't even come, which was really sad 🙁) but I still got to enjoy all the incredible trainings, participate in the discussion and the many many many practices/role plays, and get my mind blown by all the deep doctrine President Mazzagardi brought up. Usually we hear about focusing on the simple stuff, but President was like "hey you have to know this stuff! Don't you chase the footnotes?!?! Cause you should!" This conference was definitely themed a little bit differently. We were first in the mission last month, and president warned us that "pride comes before the fall," but we weren't expecting to fall quite so hard. Seeing the results, we were expecting a pretty fiery rebuke, but president was as happy as usual. Just a little I-told-you-so haha. Anyways, the conference was also different because it was a lot more council/discussion, like "come follow me" type thing. Because apparently in the new PMG that's coming in January, it's going to be all "council" and not "conference." We had a really good debate about using the Book of Mormon, which led us to two huge miracles Saturday and Sunday!
Sorry I'm out of time so I gotta summerize, but Saturday night we found a family!! On a street we've been looking for for over 2 months. And then on Sunday, we were knocking doors on a street we totally hadn't planned to knock, and we found Magda, who is a breast cancer-survivor that wrote a book about her experiences. She was talking all about it and then was like "I don't even know why I'm telling you all of this" and that's when my brain kicked in and was like "whoa ok that means it's the spirit and I have to figure out why!" And then the prompting came! We taught her about the Book of Mormon, and shared 1 Nephi 1:1, where he talks about his trials, and how he was highly favored by the Lord, and compared it to her and her book. And she LOVED it! She was like "wow. THIS (pointing to the BoM) is why God led you to my door tonight!"
One last thing: my comp and I have had an epidemic lately of saying or thinking the same thing at the same time, and we decided today that it's just like the people of King Benjamin, when they were so united in the spirit that they were able to respond "with one voice" all about their conversion. Companionship unity is soooo important and also sooo cool! My comp and I are very very different, but, unlike my past companionship, we find unity in following the spirit. Like I can't even describe how cool it is when we're trying to come up with a solution for something and then one person tentatively responds and the other is like "whoa I just thought of the same exact thing!" and then we just know it has to be revelation! hahaha :)
Ok I really gotta go, but here's 2 things I'm looking forward to:
We're going to paint our apartment!
Also, this week we have epic plans for a plan of salvation board game--can't wait to show you next week!

There were tons of pictures taken, but sorry I don't have any of them yet! Get them to you as soon as I can. Love you all! wishing you an awesome week!!
-Sister Kirkham

No comments:

Post a Comment