Friday, August 31, 2018

June 18, 2018 - Another Transfer and Dia dos Namorados

Just to clear a few things up, yes, the trucker strike has ended, and no, we aren't starving haha.

To start back to front, it's been an interesting weekend! Today we walked a few miles in the pouring rain (y'all don't want to know what we looked like when we walked in to Subway for lunch) due to a doctors appointment and a lost umbrella (mine.  oops.) but it was all worth it cause everyone's healthy and I got a package!!

Oh but also, I got a call last night that I'm being transfered! (It was supposed to be tonight, but thank heavens it got moved to tomorrow!) I'll be going all the way to the end of the world (or the mission, I guess), way interior to Ipiranga, Teofolo, which is actually part of the neighboring state, Minas Gerais. I'll be with another American, Sister Whitters, from Idaho, who only has 3 transfers left. I'm sad to leave this awesome ward (more about that later) and our trunky trio (also more later) but I'm excited for a new adventure :) Just means it will be hard to get letters and stuff there. Oh, and there aren't any hospitals, apparently, according to Sister Sena (she would know hahha).

And speaking of hospitals! No, I did not go to one this week haha. But I also didn't go to church yesterday, because about 8:30am, I got violently sick, and ended up spending the whole day (or most of it) throwing up and all that fun stuff. But don't worry, I have bossy companions taking care of me, ward members checking up every few hours (I mentioned they're awesome, right?) and I've been drinking tons of water and electrolytes and I got a blessing and I'm feeling tons better and eating normally today. (OK mom? ;)

Our other fun activity this week was Dia dos Namorados, which is the Brazillian equivalent of Valentine's day. I wasn't all that bothered by all the couples (it's hard to be when you have the best (and trunkiest) trio ever) but I did get really into our romantic dinner. We order burgers from the burger place next door and listened to music and filmed a video, while eating dinner on our balcony in our pjs with our stuffed animals. Just one of those mission moments you never forget :P

Oh but we did work this week! Tons haha. We are working with some really awesome people this week, (especially Rosa and Fleverson and his whole family, plus Ericson) and we had a couple of really awesomely spiritual lessons, a couple of finding miracles (including an entire family!) a couple of promptings followed and a couple ignored (which was sad, in the end, but we learn and we grow) and another awesome meeting with our ward mission leaders. I really love the ward here, and I'm really sad not to be able to keep up with those that we're teaching, but I know that God (and my companions) will take good care of them :)

All in all, it was another awesome week in the field, and I wish I had a whole nother hour to tell you all about it. Something that we do here and that I want to continue, is our daily inventory. Every single day, we come home and we talk about our day--what we learned, what we're thankful for, what the miracles was, and what we're going to improve. And it's amazing that every single day, no matter how the day went, we're all able to come up with something (or lot's of somethings--especially miracles!!) for every category.  Missionary work is exhausting and relentless and extremely unpredictable, but trust me, it's worth it.

Wishing you all a good (dry) week!!
-Sister Kirkham

PS: Yes, the world cup started this week. No, we aren't watching the games, but yes, we are extremely curious as to how it's going hhaha. I won't send pictures, but Brazil is crazy, in case you all didn't know :P

No comments:

Post a Comment