Thursday, August 30, 2018

April 23, 2018 - No Kayaking.

I hope you all enjoyed my pictures of the rain! Especially since I don't really have pictures this week haha. But anyway, those were from last p-day, and it (thankfully) got better from there and not worse (even though it kept raining for a bit and then stopped for a few days and started again last night. This country is crazy! Oh and btw, someone on the street was commenting about the floods and told us it was like São Paulo! hahaha. Sis Rodrigues laughed but said only zona leste floods like crazy--how is it there, Jacob?) so we were able to work without too much trouble. Oh and Vitória was much worse! We have interviews with Pres this Wednesday, and he showed us a video of a man using a kayak in the street! I was so jealous! Oh but the elders couldn't leave their house, and also the church flooded, so maybe I'm not THAT jealous.
Anyways, this week was also Tri-Zone Conference! It was AWESOME and AMAZINGLY SPIRITUAL. But I also learned that I've been counting some of our numbers wrong (which also influences our planning and just how we work) wrong my entire mission. But I'm happy because I feel like this change (well it's not a change, just me doing it wrong, along with half the mission) is really going to change things for the better! And oh gosh President played a clip of the solemn assembly, and the spirit testified SO strongly that President Nelson is our new prophet!! Not that I didn't know before, but it was really cool.
Here's an honesty note: My companion and I fought really bad this week (all about small, stupid things, but I sobbed for an entire hour and really dehydrated myself) so I called president and he sent our sister training leaders to help us (and split us up, if necessary, but obviously it's not). They were really pretty hard on us, but helped us do a really good comp inventory, and create a plan to improve our relationship. Just little things, like focusing on our comp prayers, singing hymns to bring the spirit, and not going too long without talking (we're both on the quiet side). And really, I think the best thing they did was help us laugh and have fun, and destress a bit (ok a lot). My comp especially has been making a HUGE effort, and we pulled ourselves together super well, and in time to have the BEST MISSION EXPERIENCE EVER with our progressing investigators...
Luis and Luis! Luis Phelipe (Felipe) and Luis Arthur (Artú) are 13- and 10-year-old nephews of a woman in the ward. Not sure if I already talked about them, but they are super duper awesome and smart and love the book of mormon and the church, but didn't think they needed to be baptized right now. Read my journal pages for more details, but long story short, Saturday night we stopped in the middle of the lesson for both of them to pray and ask God if Joseph Smith was a prophet. I'd never done that before in my life, but President taught us at zone conference that "leaving investigators with the challenge to pray" is wrong--we need to do it with them, while the spirit is there, and with the faith that they can get an answer right now. And it happened!!!!!!! Both of them, young as they are, got their answers plain and clear and undeniable. It was a HUGE lesson/witness to me and my comp, and also and experiene that I hope they'll remember for the rest of their lives. And they're going to be baptized this week!!!! Seriously can't describe how amazing it was :)
Joana Vitória! She's the special needs cousin of Luis and Luis, and she is adorable! She didn't want to go to church yesterday, which means her mom didn't waste effort in doing her hair, so we weren't able to take a picture (oh the whims of 13 year olds)  :)
Ok the only last thing is that we had an FHE transmission from the Area Presidency for all of Brazil last night. It was super cool, with original songs and everything, and all about the Book of Mormon. Clearly there's something in our study and use of the Book of Mormon that we need to improve!
Ok that's it for this amazing week (all in all, anyway). Super hyped up for life, and to read what you've all been up to. Love you all!!
-Sister Kirkham :)

No comments:

Post a Comment