Friday, August 31, 2018

May 7, 2018 - Transfers

For the first time in a while, it was a really good week! I was still struggling with my leg until about Wednesday, and then all of a sudden it wasn't bothering me at all. It was really good to get back into the flow of things, and meet some awesome people on the street, and teach some really good lessons. It's been a week of really awesome Almoços, and endless jokes by Sister Sena (more on that later), and just an all around good mix of missionary work!

Probably my favorite thing we did this week was a family home evening with a family of less actives/recent converts. We brought our favorite Irmã Fatima (I think I mentioned last week that she'd been complaining about not getting to go on walking tours with us anymore) and the Primary Pres and her kids, and everyone brought a little bit of food and a lot of enthusiasm. We struggled a lot deciding what to do/teach, but in the end, we taught the plan of salvation as a series of skits/improv. It was hilarious, and kept all of the kids/youth engaged, and the Irmãs loved it! Here's a short clip:

Sisters: Maison, be the snake! We'll be Adam and Eve, but we need a snake!
Maison: ahhh I don't know, the snake is evil, I don't want to be the snake
[The other kids keep encouraging, but Maison gets a little embarrassed so we decide to drop it]
Narrator/Sister Kirkham: ok so we're in the garden, with all of our animals (I'm acting this out btw) eating our fruit
Eve/also sister Kirkham: Adam try this fruit, it's really good!
Adam/Sister Rodrigues: Eve! You know God told us not to---
Maison: WAIT! YOU CAN'T EAT THE FRUIT YET BECAUSE I DIDN'T COME GIVE IT TO YOU
[Histerical laughter from everyone, and a look of confusion on my face--he said he didn't want to be the snake!]
So then we had to start the garden scene over and include the snake...

Anyways, we also visited quite a few recent converts this week, including our friend João. He was really unsure about callings and just church responsibilities, so we taught about that and he is willing to accept a calling, but he still won't say public prayers! Oh João...
Oh yeah Saturday Luzinete (João's wife) picked us up early and took us to the street fair (farmer's market) to buy pastels and caldo de cana (google it) because João was appalled that I'd never tried caldo de cana. Then we helped them clean  up their house and get ready for her son's birthday party, which was basically a repeat of their wedding, and also our second time this week eating churrasco at the Rochas. Have I mentioned this ward is awesome?!?!

In awesome (but expectable) news, Luis Phelipe and Luis Arthur were confirmed yesterday and recieved the Gift of the Holy Ghost! And Luis Phelipe also recieved the Aaronic Priesthood, and is now officially a deacon. He's thrilled haha. Now he just has to get to church on time to help pass the sacrament! I wasn't doing so well Tuesday, and neither was Sister Sena, so Sister Farias and Sister Rodrigues taught them plan of salvation (that's where the skit idea came from actually haha) and then me and my comp worked with them the rest of the week. They continue to be awesome and intelligent, but were super sad when I wasn't there on Tuesday (sister Rodrigues said that I had been transfered--it's funny how many times we freak people out like that) and now I'm going to have to say goodbye!!

Which brings me to.... Transfer day!
And yes, I'm going to be transferred.

It's been a super good week and I'm excited for the next one :) And for mother's day!! See you all soon!
-Sister Kirkham

Haha jk... I won't leave you all hanging. I'm going to be serving in Marcilio de Noronha, which I'm pretty sure is as far interior as you can get without leaving what we call the Grande Vitória, which is the center of the state, and of church activity. So I'll be a little far away, but I'll still get to participate in the multi-zone conferences and activities! And I'm going to be in a TRIO, with Sister Sena (my crazy tia who has already served there and is thrilled to return) and another americana, Sister Levie, who is just about at the end of her mission, and has served half of it there haha. It should be pretty fun! Marcilio is generally know to be hot and hilly, but at least it's (kind of sort of) winter haha.
I'm sad to be leaving Cobilândia, but I know it's time, and I'm excited to get to know new people. I'll tell you all about it next week!!
-Sister Kirkham ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment